February 10, 2010
by Piero Fiorani
Here you can find some Effects for Final Cut Express written in the fxscript scripting language.
I wrote them for at least two reasons: first, I needed something special I didn’t find ready to use; second, I had fun to do it myself. And doing so I learned a lot about FCE basics, graphics, movie editing, and still a lot more I have to…
Some of what I learned so far is listed in Lessons Learned.
Available Effects for Final Cut Express:
You can find two kinds of fxscript plugins: first, a main set of filters, transitions, generators adding some new functionality to FCE and FCP (in some cases the goal is to add some FCP functions to FCE) and second a set of filters that act as testing “tools” for other fxscript filters or generators; this second set is collected in the “PF Toolbox”.
All the plugins in this page are freeware.
Main set of plugins:
1. •Counter Display is a Generator that creates a customizable counter to be added to the timeline
2. •Timecode Display (updated) is a Filter that displays customizable Timecodes of a clip (including source timecodes, otherwise not available in FCE)
3. •FCE Alpha Transition is a Transition that emulates the Alpha Transition newly added to FCP 7 (but currently not available in FCE 4)
4. •AutoPanZoom is a Filter that creates random Ken Burns effects for a one step creation of photo presentations
5. •Reflections is a Filter that creates a Front Row like reflection of a clip
6. •Quarter PIP is a Filter that creates Picture in Picture (PIP) of a clip – helpful in multi track editing
7. •Time Remap is a Filter for FCE that emulates the Time Remap function of FCP
8. •Clone is a Filter that copies an area of the clip into another area of the same clip
9. •Frames is a Generator that creates simple frames (ovals, circles, rectangles and squares), but it provides also a tool for highlighting areas of the clip, or hiding them.
10. •Make Transparent is a Filter that changes a grayscale clip (usually a mask generator) by adding an alpha channel: with its default settings transparency is added to white (or black) areas of the clip.
PF Toolbox plugins:
1. •Field Selector is a Filter that displays selected fields of a clip (1st or 2nd field, or both in PIPs)
2. •Channels is a Filter that displays the alpha channel and/or selected color channels of a clip either RGB (Alpha, Red, Green, Blu, or combinations of them) or YUV (Alpha, Luma, Cb, Cr, or combinations of them).
3. •Value Tester is made by both a Filter and a Generator that display selected fxscript variables and functions for a clip and/or a sequence.
All the links above point to a web page where a zipped version of the plugin is available. If you have any problem with their installation go to the page Plugin Installation for instructions or for downloading their corresponding (unzipped) text version.
I’m sorry to announce that starting June 30th my web site (http://web.mac.com/piero.fiorani/PieroF_FCE_Effect/Welcome.html) providing some free FCE/FCP filters and generators will be no longer available. The trigger for this decision is that iCloud will not support iWeb, and MobileMe will shut off at that same date; but also I don’t think FCE/FCP7 (pre FCP X) will have any future, and my fxscript filters do not work on the new FCP X platform.
Please read more & how to get on touch here: