OmniDiskSweeper is really great at what it does: showing you the files on your drive, in descending order by size, and letting you delete them easily! It scans your disks as quickly as possible and shows you the facts – if a file doesn’t make the cut to stay, just click the big Delete button and be done with it. It’s a fast, easy way to find those large files cluttering up your drive and clearing them out for new, better things. Make sure you want them gone, though. There’s no going back.
OmniDiskSweeper is the simplest Disk analyzer that scans your Mac hard drive, available from the OmniGroup software company. This free app scans your data in a few minutes and you can use it as simply as:
- Launch the OmniDiskSweeper app.
- Select the Drive you want to scan and click Sweep Drive.
- In the newly opened window, you will see a directory of the folders, arranged by size.
- There are two options: open in Finder and move to Trash.
- View your files: when you start OmniDiskSweeper, it presents you with a list of disks attached to your machine. Double-click on one, and a new window opens with a column view listing every folder and file you can access, which it sorts by size as you watch.
- Clean house: the free space on the disk and the ordering of the folders are automatically recalculated as you delete the old, space-hogging stuff you don’t need anymore.
- Smarter than Finder: sure, you could do this with the Finder, but OmniDiskSweeper makes it easier. Since the directories and files are sorted by size, you get to quickly zoom in on the big files that are taking up all the space.